Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Do you ever wonder if your animals get enough of your attention?
If you worry about whether or not your dog gets quality time with you daily, you're not alone.
Most dogs like to just be around you. When left alone the effect of your absence has on your dog can depend in large part on the quality of attention that you give your dog once you are home.
So if you are gone a lot, make sure that the time you do spend with your dog is quality time. Dr. Jon recommends a few ways you can make the most of your time together.
1. Go for a long walk. (It will be good for both of you.)
2. Make sure your dog has plenty of opportunities to exercise. If your dog has a lot of energy, make sure he is able and has the opportunity to work it off. Wear him out until he is good and tired.
3. Spend some quiet time together. While you watch TV, read the paper or do some work, talk to you dog and let him know that you are there and that you care.
4. Provide plenty of play toys. When you are there or away, make sure your dog has plenty of toys to play with to keep him entertained. But dogs can get bored with the same old toy, day in and day out. A choice of several toys can make a day a lot more interesting for a dog.
5. Make sure your dog is healthy. Take care of any medical problems, such as allergies, pain, skin irritations or fleas. It is miserable to be alone all day and not feel well, so keeping your dog healthy will also help keep him content.