Thursday, July 30, 2009

Is My Dog In Heaven?

I came across this very touching story and learned there is a thoughtful, loving soul working in the dead letter department of the U.S. Post Office.

Abbey and Meredith

Our 14-year-old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4-year-old daughter, Meredith, was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to Heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in Heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her, you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.

Love,
Meredith


We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to 'God/Heaven'. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to Heaven.

That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed to Meredith in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in Heaven. Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away. Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in Heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and send it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.

I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I'm easy to find, I am wherever there is love.

Love,
God

15 comments:

  1. Dear Joanne,
    I happened to pop up on ur blog because I have been searching up answers from others all over the internet. Answers that would help fill this huge whole in my heart. I lost the best thing in my entire life on Sunday about 5 days ago... I still cant believe my Dog is gone.. we put her down at the age of 12 years old 2 months until she was 13... My God she was my everything... I love her dearly... I read this post and started to cry uncontrollably... but I have been in this state ever since sunday... I truly regret letting her go but I also feel like I would never want to make her suffer ... so I guess I regret the inbetween as in I never go to say a proper good bye....I also regret having a vet that we didnt know put her down because he made her feel extremely uncofortable and she got up one last time to try to leave him but I brough her back to lay her down and pass peacefully.. we called this vet that we didnt know becasuse he was a mobile vet and theonly one who would come to the house to do it... I wanted my Angel to feel as cofortable as possible but I didnt succeed...I Miss my Angel Nika... this post made me have some hope... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know your post is 3 yrs old, but I wonder how you are doing now? A few days ago, I had my beautiful dog put down by a vet she didn't know either. My little girl had never snapped at anyone but she snapped at her, like she knew & was fighting for her life. Now, I feel like I forced her to her death when she didn't want to die. She was very ill though. Anyway, I can't stop crying. Also, my niece had to put her dog down too. I wish she didn't tell me about it, because I can't stop crying about that either. My niece used to bring her dog to the vet every couple of wks to have his toenails cut and when she brought him to be put down, he was wagging his tail & holding his paw up to have his nails cut. For some reason, that image tears my heart out too. I hope u tell me that u are doing better 3 yrs later because, the pain I'm feeling right now is awful, & everything makes me cry.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jeanie,

      Thank you for asking. Yes, I still have images of that experience at the vet and wish it were different. I guess it is just one of those life experiences............ Anyways, I have another dog and she is a kick. She keeps me active and has become very attached to me. I hope she will be like my kitty and when it is her time, die at home. No matter what, I will always have a dog.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessica-Lauren,

    I am so sorry to hear of your sadness over the death of your dearly beloved dog. I am glad that this post helped you and that you were able to share your sorrow.

    The hardest thing I have ever done in my life was to put my 13 year old golden retriever to sleep. I too wished the experience was different and I think about it often. But, know that you did the best for Angel Nika and find joy in all those lovely memories together.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just put our beloved westie- Lexie-pup down this morning. She was only 6 years old. She was a victim of inbreeding and had many problems including blindness and trouble breathing. She is so loved and missed . I am struggling. I believe she is in heaven and is happy and healthy, but I ache and my heart is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vanessa,

    So sorry to hear about having to put down your beloved dog......that has to be one of the hardest things in life to do; definitely a heart breaker. Think of those wonderful times you spent together and how she graced your life.
    Take care in your time of sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right now going through the extreme pain of losing our loving Lucy, our beautiful, smart & extremely intuitive min-pin who was able to read different people's personality's & react accordingly. We had to put her down last night due to kidney failure. We had her in the hospital because the vet hoped she could help her, but we watched her condition deteriorate to the point where she was suffering, & we knew it was time. Complicating my own pain is that our dog Lucy was my son's best friend. My son has mild autism & does not connect well with people. She was his best friend. We got Lucy when my son was 8, & he is now 17. Even at his age, Lucy was his only friend. The pain in his eyes is killing me, and I keep seeing him look everywhere for her. It's just so awful, I don't know how to handle it because I'm in terrible pain too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeanie,

    Thanks for sharing. So sorry for your loss......Lucy sounds like a wonderful dog. What I know is that it does take time to process such a loss, but I also know that there is another dog out there that will bless your life. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, Thank u so much for your kind words. It helps to hear them. As painful as the loss is, I believe we will share our hearts with another friend one day too.

      Delete
  7. I just put my baby "oddball" to sleep after 14 yrs. After he and I had been by each others side 24/7. I am as heart broken as a person can be. I just don't care to much about anything anymore. Can anyone help?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim,

      Soooo sorry to hear. Find a support group to help you move through grieving

      Take care!

      Delete
  8. It's kind if comforting to know that what I am feeling right now is what everyone else has already said above.
    4 days ago we had to make the most difficult decision to let our beloved English Springer go.
    I didn't think it was possible to feel so hurt and heartbroken and still be alive. She was my whole world. Everything seems so pointless and empty without her greeting us. After 13 years she was definitely "our baby".
    I am really struggling to get to grips with my emotions - she was the first thing/person that I have ever lost and I am feeling so hollow I can't put one foot in front of the other.
    I hope wherever she is and whatever she is doing she is happy. I feel really quite sick when I think about the end. She was shaking so much when we got to the vets, almost as if she knew. I feel like a murderer but equally know it was the right thing to end her suffering, but a really selfish part of me wishes she was still here.
    Someone tell me it gets better?!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi BramblesFriend,

    Sorry to hear about your loss. It is very tough going for a while and the cliché about time is so true. Take care and know that you did the best you could do for her.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. my buddy boy, Bartles has been gone for 72 hours now.. I am so lost without him and can relate to everyone's post.. I know it will get easier, but that's only because I will forget him and that breaks my heart. I don't know how to go on now.. my husband and don't have any kids and he was like a child to us.. we are so lost and devastated knowing our lives will never be the same without him.. he loved me so unconditionally.. I know I will never have that again.. he truly was one of a kind.. I've had many dogs but none like him.. I miss him so much all I can do is cry ...i'm so scared

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Holly,

    Yes, it is tough going through the loss. So sorry. Take care!

    ReplyDelete