If you are considering adopting a dog from an animal shelter or rescue organization, here are some screening test questions you may be asked to help ensure dogs are matched with responsible, lifelong homes.
1. Why do you want to adopt a dog?
Your answer will help rescuers determine whether you want a dog for the right reasons, along with which of their adoptees might match your lifestyle.
2. Do you have a veterinarian we can contact?
Many rescues want to verify that your are provided regular veterinary care for pets past and present.
3. Do you have children, and if so, how old are they?
Some rescues refuse to place dogs with families with young children for safety reasons. Plus, not all dogs mesh well with children.
4. Do other pets live with you, and if so, what kind?
Likewise, not every dog can live in harmony with other canines, cats, or small furry creatures.
5. Where will your dog spend the night and day?
No rescue wants to see a dog kept in 24/7 backyard banishment.
Did you pass the test?
Thank you for choosing a rescue dog.
but they make our lives whole."