Sunday, May 31, 2009

Barking as a Greeting

Some people enjoy coming home because their dog greets them excitedly by jumping and barking. They feel this proves their dog's love for the family.

But in a natural setting, dogs don’t bark, yelp, or jump on pack mates in a burst of affection. Dogs that greet their owners in this way are trying to communicate. According to Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisperer, rather than professing undying love, he believes they are probably trying to tell you that they are lonely and bored; their needs as a dog are not being met.

The excitement is your dog’s way of burning off the excess energy that has been building throughout the day. Don't be disappointed by this revelation. Dogs simply don’t use emotions like people do. Remember, they’re dogs. To love a dog means you must treat him like an animal, which means fulfilling him as Nature intended him to be fulfilled.

2 comments:

  1. I get home from work and my pups reaction is he lays down for mr to rub his tummy and then the kissing begins. My pup only barks if I bring a friend home, which is rare , and after I introduce my friend then he let's the stranger rub his belly as well . Is this correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leonardo,

    Thanks for posting your thoughts.

    Sounds to me as if you and your dog have a very special greeting ritual; both of you get pleasure from it.

    I believe Cesar disapproves of the wild out-of-control type of greeting by dogs; when they bark and jump up on you.

    You and your dog have it under control.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete