Saturday, April 16, 2011
Pet Sitter Checklist
Next time you go on vacation and leave your dog with a pet sitter, here is a handy checklist to help you.
Type up a document that includes:
1. Your dog's diet and exercise habits
2. Nearby walking routes and parts, and best/worst times of day for each
3. Your dog's microchip information and veterinary phone numbers
4. Instructions for storing leftover canned food
5. Your contact information and a local emergency contact
Leave these things in plain sight:
1. Your dog's collar and leash (with an extra, if possible)
2. A flashlight for after-dark outings
3. Plenty of cleanup bags
4. Food a stored in a secure, dog-proof container or cupboard
5. A can opener, if needed
Do not forget to:
1. Tell your neighbors to expect to see the pet sitter coming and going. Optionally, give a trusted neighbor the pet sitter's number or a number where you can be reached, should they notice a problem.
2. Ask you pet sitter about her backup plans, in case she runs into an unexpected conflict.
3. Re-evaluate your home's dog-proofing; with extra time alone, you dog may find new things to explore.