Monday, April 26, 2010

Ebony Meets the Emu

Today I managed to take advantage of the last bit of nice weather before the rains slated for the next few days come to Olympia, Washington.

In order to get more exercise than walking for both my dog, Ebony, and myself, I use my "out of line" skates. There is seldom a day that I do not get asked about these skates.

They are called Landrollers


Today, with our friend, Maxine, we traveled a different section of the Chehalis Western Trail. To my surprise, and Ebony's, there was an emu!

Very slowly, Ebony came to the fence to see what it was. After all, last week when we walked the Capitol neighborhood (my friend still cannot quit laughing), Ebony pointed a large lawn statue of a deer. Ebony was not sure of this creature.



Interesting emu facts:

The Emu is the largest bird native to Australia. It is also the second-largest bird in the world by height, after its ratite (flightless bird) relative, the ostrich. The soft-feathered, brown, flightless birds reach up to 2 metres (6.6 ft) in height. The Emu is common over most of mainland Australia, although it avoids heavily populated areas, dense forest, and arid areas. Emus can travel great distances at a fast, economical trot and, if necessary, can sprint at 50 km/h (31 mph) for some distance at a time. They are opportunistically nomadic and may travel long distances to find food; they feed on a variety of plants and insects, but have been known to go weeks without food. Emus will sit in water and are also able to swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment