Tuesday, August 18, 2009

How Does He Do It?

Do you ever wonder how Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisperer, "rehabilitates" dogs?


Cesar Millan



Cesar says, "I believe there are two main things that make me successful in rehabilitation. First, I don't know anything about the problem, so I don't come in with any preconceived ideas. I don't know anything about the past. I'm just meeting the dog as who he is at that moment. Second, I look to the environment to see what can help me to help him. Most of the time, it is the environment and the humans that empower the dog. The dog becomes territorial, and the dog becomes dominant."

He then asks himself, "What do I need to do to help this dog achieve a calm-submissive state?"

"For the most part, the dog is not lacking affection. These owners love their dogs very much. Usually, it's exercise or discipline that is missing. In what order? It depends. If I'm dealing with an aggressive or territorial case, the dog needs discipline. If I'm dealing with a hyper or nervous dog, it's exercise. Exercise builds self-esteem and creates trust. Psychological challenges create respect."

Cesar believes that it's not an intellectual process. He says, "It's about instinct and intuition. I am a big believer that God will show me the way and that the dog will tell me what I need to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment