Have you every wondered why dogs cannot have chocolate?
We thought this information on chocolate and its toxicity may interest you:
Chocolate, in addition to having a high fat content, contains caffeine and theobromine. These two compounds are nervous system stimulants and can be toxic to your dog in high amounts. The levels of caffeine and theobromine vary between different types of chocolate. For example, white chocolate has the lowest concentration of stimulants and baking chocolate or cacao beans have the highest concentration.
Depending on the type of chocolate ingested and the amount eaten, various problems can occur. The high fat content in chocolate may result in vomiting and possibly diarrhea. Once toxic levels are eaten, the stimulant effect becomes apparent. You may notice restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination and possibly signs occur when two ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. This means that a little less than one pound of milk chocolate can be toxic to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog.
Types of Chocolate and Toxicity
Semi-Sweet Chocolate. Mild signs of toxicity can occur when 1/3 ounce per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when one ounce per pound of body weight is ingested. This means that as little as six ounces of semi-sweet chocolate can be toxic to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog.
Baking Chocolate. Mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.1 ounce per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 0.3 ounce per pound of body weight is ingested. Two small one-ounce squares of baking chocolate can be toxic to a 20-pound dog. This type of chocolate has the highest concentration of caffeine and theobromine and very little needs to be ingested before signs of illness become apparent.
Generally, within a few hours of ingesting a toxic amount of chocolate, signs of hyperactivity, tremors, panting and excessive urination are seen. Prompt veterinary care is recommended.
In the Garden
One uncommon but potential source of chocolate is in certain mulches. Cacoa bean mulch is made from the hulls of cacoa beans and when fresh has a rich, chocolate aroma. Ingestion of large amounts of fresh mulch can result in chocolate toxicity. To keep your pet safe, keep him away from the mulch until the chocolate aroma has gone. A thorough watering or heavy rainfall often reduces the potential toxicity.
Diagnosing chocolate ingestion is generally based on the owner's witnessing or suspecting ingestion and on physical exam findings. Pets that have ingested toxic levels of chocolate are generally hyperactive, panting, have increased blood pressure and increased heart rates. Dehydration may also occur if there has been significant vomiting and diarrhea.
Treatment depends on the severity of the clinical signs and may include continuous intravenous fluid therapy, medications to help control vomiting and sedatives to counteract the stimulant effects of chocolate.
Occasionally medication to reduce heart rate and high blood pressure is indicated.
Most pets treated for chocolate toxicity recover and return to normal within 24-48 hours of treatment.
Home Care and Prevention
Remove your dog from the source of chocolate and call your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your dog has consumed a toxic amount. Your veterinarian may recommend that you induce vomiting in your pet by oral administration of hydrogen peroxide. Transport your pet to your veterinarian immediately.
Home care for pets that have ingested toxic levels of chocolate is primarily aimed at reducing gastrointestinal upset and making certain that there is no access to additional chocolate. Once the nausea is gone, your veterinarian may recommend a bland diet for a couple of days.
Watch for tremors, hyperactivity or seizures. If your pet is not eating and drinking, continues to vomit, has persistent diarrhea or still seems hyperactive, consult your veterinarian for additional recommendations.