Friday, June 11, 2010

How Many Dogs?

For the next two weeks I am "baby sitting" my son's dog, Ginger. Adding a second dog to the household has its challenges.

I find that I am constantly watching the dogs and training Ginger to our routines. She is a "city dog" and not use to the amount of freedom Ebony has taken for granted. I have also realized that Ebony and I have a good relationship and understanding of each other's needs.

Ginger and Ebony Ready To Go

My plan is to take the dogs for a good long walk each morning; hopefully, this will keep them content for the rest of the day. Ceasar Millan, the Dog Whisper, believes that a walk is the dog's work ethic.

So how many dogs is too much?

One thing is for sure, how many dogs you can humanely care for depends on your availability, energy and resources. For most people, owning one or two dogs is a full time job, but some may be able to balance upward of four to six dogs. Anything above this number requires a special kind of person with special circumstances if each animal is to receive the kind of attention he should receive as a pet.

I think I will stick to one dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment